Jane Orde Scholarship
Applications is open for the 19th WFTGA Convention Scholarship. Applicants must be practising Tourist Guides, who are active in their own tourist guides association and who come from countries in the World Bank Tiers 3,4 and 5. The list of eligible countries can be found on the Membership Section of this website.
The Jane Orde Scholarship was created, by the Androus Foundation, in memory of President Emeritus Jane Orde, primarily to help tourist guides from countries which are financially challenged and who are therefore unable to attend our conventions.
In 2003 our winners were from the Gambia and Victor Leal from Guatamala, pictured learning to dance and with the other delegates; in 2005, our winners were from Egypt, Jordan and Latvia; in 2007 our winners were from Mozambique and India; in 2009 our winners were from Malaysia and Thailand; in 2011 our winners were Christina Baumgarten from Brazil, Giorgi Dartsimelia from Georgia, Patricia Oviedo Vela from Perú and Gennadiy Chudnovets from the Ukraine. In 2013 our winners were Nadia Sabina Mele of Argentina and Sangay Phurba of Bhutan pictured with Deborah Androus (President Emeritus). In 2015 our winners were Mxaine Blake (Bahamas), Joan Leacock (Barbados), David J. Apigo (Philippines), Tatyana Bukharina (Ukraine) and Tamara Levinson (Uruguay), with Deborah Androus (President Emeritus) and Felicitas Wressnig (WFTGA President Emeritus).
The Jane Orde Scholarship was created
to assist Tourist Guides lacking sufficient funds to attend the WFTGA international Conventions. Once again, the Androus Foundation and colleagues are able to offer the Jane Orde Scholarship to assist a Tourist Guide to participate in our 19th WFTGA Convention in Novi Sad, February 2022.
The Jane Orde Scholarship was created to help Tourist Guides from less affluent countries attend the WFTGA biennial Conventions. Based on the International Monetary Fund listing of Tiers, and as used by the WFTGA for membership fee payment bands, the Scholarship therefore only applies to Tourist Guides from the countries in Tiers 3, 4 and 5.
The award only finances part of the costs involved in attending a WFTGA Convention. The applicants must therefore demonstrate that they have other financial support in cash or in kind (for example flights), usually through sponsorship from tourism partners in their own localities.
- Applicants must be practicing, qualified Tourist Guides, active in their local association.
- Applicants must belong to a country listed under Tiers 3, 4 or 5
- Applicants must meet all relevant deadlines
- Applicants must fully complete and submit the application form with all supporting documents (incomplete applications will not be accepted)
- Applicants must have a valid passport (or be prepared to apply for one in time for the Convention at their own expense)
- Applicants must cover relevant Visa costs (if applicable) at their own expense and in time for the Convention.
- Applicants must be prepared to travel on the required dates in order to attend the Convention in February 2022 in Novi Sad, Serbia.
- If shortlisted, the Applicant must be available for further questions and interviews.
- The Applicant must agree to attend the Convention if their application is approved.
- The Applicant must agree to represent their Association/Country in a professional manner at all times.
- The Applicant must agree to produce a full post-Convention Review Report by April 2022.
- The Applicant must agree to share the experiences and information gained during the Convention with fellow Tourist Guides in their own country and their Associations.
- Complete the application form in full.
- Attach all relevant information as requested (incomplete applications will not be considered).
- Send the completed application by no later than 01st September 2021.
- All completed applications will be processed according to WFTGA policies and procedures
- A shortlist of candidates will be contacted mid-September 2021.
- If you have not heard from the WFTGA, your application was unfortunately unsuccessful.
- Shortlisted candidates may be subject to an interview via Skype/Zoom or similar by the selection committee.
- The successful candidate to be awarded the Jane Orde Scholarship will be announced on Monday 11thOctober 2021.
- All decisions are final and no further correspondence will be entered into
Application deadline to access the Jane Orde Scholarship fund is 01st September 2021!